- Only Share PHI with those who have a need to know. Protect and never share your passwords. It is each your responsibility to protect your password and not share it with anyone. You are accountable to logoff or lock the computer before leaving the work station.
- Access only the information you need to do your job.
- Unauthorized access is a breach of HIPPA regulations and our own Magis value of respect. Inappropriate access, regardless of the reason or intent, will be grounds for disciplinary action, up to and including immediate termination of employment.
- Print only what is absolutely necessary to print.
- Store any paper that contains PHI in a confidential place.
- Be careful when discussing PHI in public places.
- Verify to whom you are speaking on the telephone before giving out PHI. Call back if in doubt.
- The preferred method for disposing of paper containing PHI is shredding. If you print at home, you must shred any printer records.
- Password protect your portable electronic devices.